12 November 2017

Review of Keeping Long Island by Courtney Peppernell

Keeping Long IslandKeeping Long Island by Courtney Peppernell

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book was wonderful. I usually don't like the conceit of a book written in diary entries, but wow. This one was so well done. Kayden is a broken young woman whose therapist suggested she keep a diary to help her learn how to share her feelings. She writes each entry as if she were talking to someone she calls "Keeper" as in Secret Keeper. And it felt like she was talking to me.

I haven't highlighted so many passages in a Kindle book before in my life. There are awkwards turns of phrase, but that feels authentic to Kayden's voice.

I was afraid that the immediacy of the story would be lost as we are reading about it "after the fact" so to speak, but that didn't happen. And Kayden's friends and family felt real to me.

There is little action here. This is a book about feelings, about sadness and depression and love and happiness. It's about family and friendship. It's slow paced and thoughtful. It's amazing.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment